We are a small and friendly congregation located in the village of Croton-on-Hudson, NY only a few blocks from the Croton-Harmon Metro North station (map). Our members come from Ossining, Peekskill, and the towns of Cordlandt and Yorktown as well as from Croton.
Our members come from a variety of Christian backgrounds and from many countries of the world. Our congregation is rooted in the Lutheran tradition and is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
We welcome people at all stages of life. Our service is family-friendly and we have a convenient area for changing and addressing the needs of babies. Our facilities are handicapped-accessible, including a beautiful new restroom. Large print bulletins are available. Our services are followed by a coffee hour in our parish hall with excellent refreshments and conversation. We are conveniently located just off routes 9 and 9A in Croton and we always have ample street parking nearby.
Our Mission and Vision
Our mission is to offer spiritual grounding and growth by connecting with God and our community.
Our vision is to provide meaningful, well-attended, active, and growing worship, education, fellowship, and service opportunities.
The first gathering of people who would become the congregation of Our Saviour Evangelical Lutheran Church took place in 1933, the year Prohibition ended and the first year of Franklin Roosevelt's administration. In 1935, the church was accepted into the United Lutheran Synod of New York. For several years, though, the church had no permanent home. By Easter 1934, services were being held at the First Church of Christ, Scientist in Harmon. From there, the congregation moved to the Harmon Lodge, usually described by charter members as a saloon or bar. But the Lodge did provide a place for a normal Sunday morning schedule and for congregational events. Increasing rent caused services to be moved to a private home on Benedict Boulevard in 1937. The congregation worshipped there until its church was built in 1939. In 1963, the parish hall was dedicated for use by the Sunday School, youth programs, and the community. Thirty years later, the Gotwald Parish Hall still houses Sunday School classes and provides a meeting place for local groups. The Link, the glass hallway connecting the Parish Hall to the original church structure, was dedicated in 1984.